Professional hackers always change mac address of their computer before doing any hacking activity to protect themselves to be not traced by anyone. Every NIC (Network Interface Card) has a unique MAC address (Media Access Control). This applies to all types of network cards, including Ethernet cards and WiFi cards. The MAC Address is a six-byte number or 12-digit hexadecimal number that is used to uniquely identify a host on a network.
An example of a MAC address is 1F-2E-3D-4C-5B-6A and it falls into the Layer 2 networking protocol of the OSI model. In today’s networks, ARP, or Address Resolution Protocol converts a MAC address to a Layer 3 protocol address, such as an IP address. A MAC address can also be called a Physical Address.
What MAC Addresses Are Used For
In addition to their core networking use, MAC addresses are often used for other purposes:
- Static IP Assignment: Routers allow you to assign static IP addresses to your computers. When a device connects, it always receives a specific IP address if it has a matching MAC address
- MAC Address Filtering: Networks can use MAC address filtering, only allowing devices with specific MAC addresses to connect to a network. This isn’t a great security tool because people can spoof their MAC addresses.
- MAC Authentication: Some Internet service providers may require authentication with a MAC address and only allow a device with that MAC address to connect to the Internet. You may need to change your router or computer’s MAC address to connect.
- Device Identification: Many airport WiFi networks and other public WiFi networks use a device’s MAC address to identify it. For example, an airport WiFi network might offer a free 30 minutes and then ban your MAC address from receiving more WiFi. Change your MAC address and you could get more WiFi. (Free, limited WiFi may also be tracked using browser cookies or an account system.)
- Device Tracking: Because they’re unique, MAC addresses can be used to track you. When you walk around, your smartphone scans for nearby WiFi networks and broadcasts its MAC address. A company named Renew London used trash bins in the city of London to track people’s movements around the city based on their MAC addresses. Apple’s iOS 8 will use a random MAC address each time it scans for nearby WiFi networks to prevent this sort of tracking.
Bear in mind that each network interface has its own MAC address. So, on a typical laptop with both a WiFi radio and a wired Ethernet port, the wireless and wired network interface each have unique, separate MAC addresses.
How to Change MAC Address in Windows
Here We are discussing three methods to change MAC address in windows with or without software. You can change MAC Address at the run time whenever you want to change so Now let’s take a look at these methods to change windows MAC address t protect your computer identity.
1. Using Device Manager
Most network cards will allow you to set a custom MAC address from their configuration panes in the Device Manager, although some network drivers may not support this feature.
First, open the Device Manager. On Windows 8.1, press Windows Key + X and click Device Manager. On Windows 7, press the Windows key, type “Device Manager” to search for it, and click Device Manager.
Locate the network interface you want to modify under Network Adapters, right-click it, and select Properties.
Click the Advanced tab and select Network Address in the list. Your network driver doesn’t support this feature if the option isn’t here.
Enable the Value option and enter your desired MAC address without any separating characters — don’t use dashes or colons. Click OK afterward.
2. Technitium Mac Address Changer
Technitium MAC Address Changer allows you to change (spoof) Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your Network Interface Card (NIC) instantly. It has a very simple user interface and provides ample information regarding each NIC in the machine.
Every NIC has a MAC address hard coded in its circuit by the manufacturer. This hard coded MAC address is used by Windows drivers to access Ethernet Network (LAN). This tool can set a new MAC address to your NIC, bypass the original hard coded MAC address.
Steps To Use Technitium Mac Address Changer
First of all, download and install Technitium MAC Address Changer software in your Windows computer after that launch that software on your PC. You will see the screen like below.
Now, Select your network where you have currently connected. Now at below click on Random MAC Address and It will generate new random MAC address for your computer that doesn’t belong to your network.
Now at below select Change Now button and you will see a popup message MAC Address was changed successfully.
That’s it! You are done. Now your Windows computer has an anonymous MAC Address which is not related to your computer.
3. Using NoVirusThanks Mac Address Changer:
NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer is easy to use application that allows you to change (spoof) the Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your network adapters.
First of all, download and install NoVirusThanks MAC Address Changer software in your Windows computer.
Now Click on “Refresh List” it will show all the network adapter and after that Select Network Adapter and then click on “Change MAC.”
Now you will see screen like below; here you can randomize your MAC address or can type a new Mac Address and then click on “Change.”
That’s it! You are done. This is the easiest way to change MAC Address on windows computer. If MAC Address cannot be changed, make sure to adjust new MAC Address because some network adapters accept only specific ranges.
So above is all about to change MAC address in Windows and By these methods, you can quickly change MAC address of any Windows PC and secure your device on the network from the attackers. Also, you can surf anonymously with these methods. Hope you like this article. Don’t forget to share it with your friends and leave a comment below if you are facing any problem with this.